Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Good evening Latvia!!!!!!!!

Well, we made it to Riga, Latvia right on time. Our driver from the apartment was a little late and me being completely sleep deprived - started to panic. I forgot to get the phone number. But he finally arrived!

We left on schedule from Springfield. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. To watch my kids get smaller and smaller as I went down the corridor and knowing we were all struggling was a bit much. By the time I got on the plane, I was okay but I can't say that for Ethan. As I said, he is the one struggling the most with the separation. But he eventually got something to eat and got busy. Distraction generally works.

We had a fairly uneventful trip to Chicago. Joe took his dramamine and did awesome. I was fine until we were about to land and the plane tipped back and forth. But we survived! Our layover wasn't too bad. We left Chicago to Frankfurt and did our best to sleep but in the 8 hr flight, I slept about 1 1/2 hours and Joe... Not at all!!!! We had a 4 hour layover in Frankfurt, where Joe met some gentlemen that are evangelists in Latvia. We sat with them chatting the time away. We even shared our jerky with them. hehe Our final part of the trip was just 2 hrs long but it was the most uncomfortable and I was so antsy!!! When we flew over the Baltic Sea, I looked at Joe and we both realized we are in the same town/country as our daughter.

Getting our apartment was quite experience as well. Apparently, I misuderstood the lady and thought they would take a Credit card! They don't and we don't have the total amount in our checking account. We skyped a friend and she is helping us out. We paid her through paypal and she put the money in our account so that is available in our checking account!!


Joe and I walked accross the street to the gas station. We got a gallon of bottled water, some chips and sandwiches for dinner.

Tomorrow we meet Daina at 12:30 to go meet Liga. it was supposed to be at 10:30 but the court rescheduled. We will go shopping for groceries afterwards!!!!

Can't wait to tell you about our time with Liga and her foster family!!! Until then...

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to "catch up" with you on here! I remember that first glance at the Baltic during landing...it is an almost out of body experience! Enjoy every minute in Latvia - it is an amazing place.

    Please say hello to Daina from the Kimmel family! We love her so much, and I am sure you will too. I will be watching the clock here and praying for you! I hope you get some sleep and have a wonderful day tomorrow! Can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! The Lord's blessing on you all tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete