Thursday, February 17, 2011

First impressions....

Well, today we woke up at 9 and quickly got ready to go to the bank and finish paying for our apartment. Afterwards, we came home and checked email and read until we needed to meet Daina at 12:30 pm.

This is our apartment:

We waited outside in front of the apartment and waited until we saw a vehicle that held a man & a woman. We have never seen Daina and definately hadn't seen her driver (son). As soon as she got out of the vehicle, she gave each of us a big hug and wore a beautiful smile. We could instantly see why everyone raves about Daina. She was very friendly and made us feel comfortable the entire time.

We drove to the Orphan court to meet with Sandra. She gave us all the infomation that the court has on Liga, including more info on her medical records. Daina felt we should have the Doctor at the Embassy check out the records as well as have Liga looked at. Doing so will shorten our 3rd trip by one day. We asked tons of questions and finally headed to Liga's home with Sandra.
Daina and Sandra ~

My (Brenna) stomach was in knots. Daina asked how I was doing. I told her: nervous, afraid to be rejected again, don't want to scare her if I give a big hug... Daina reassured me and said "she'll be nervous too but she is excited and waiting for you. Give a side hug and see her reaction...
Just outside her apartment as we wait for them to ring us in.

As soon as we walked into the door Liga ran up to me and gave me a hug. She immediately went to Joe and hugged him too. We each gave her foster mom a hug and she whispered in my ear God bless you, through her tears. Liga smiled from ear to ear while showing us to our seats for the treats they were providing.

We enjoyed almost 2 hrs of conversation, questions and laughter (usually at my expense... I murdered their language and they got a kick out it). In the first few minutes of our conversation she asked Daina if she could call us Mom & Dad now. ABSOLUTELY!!!!! She showed us her room and boy was it clean!!!!

We had bought her necklace; she as so excited to put it on. It had 3 charms on it that said, "love, trust and forever" ~ that's a family!!!!

We will meet Liga at court tomorrow morning at 9am. And she will be with us for the remainder of our time in Latvia and come home with us on March 12.

Got to Skype with the kids last night and tonight. It is good to see them but we needed to tell Ethan that he didn't have to do skype everytime. It's getting harder for him everyday and when we skype it hurts him all over again.

Well, that's all or now! Until tomorrow!


  1. Been blog stalking since we chatted on Facebook! SOOOOO happy to see pictures - oh, she is lovely! We are so thankful for a wonderful first day and will continue to pray for you all. Will say some special prayers for your kids here in the USA - especially Ethan.

    Thank you for sharing your adventures with us!!!

  2. YAY! Sounds like a terrific first day. Rooting for you from here.